Re: Patch to readd documentation

От Oliver Jowett
Тема Re: Patch to readd documentation
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Kris Jurka wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Jan 2004, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>

>>Btw., creating a separate distribution for documentation is just a
>>perfect way to make sure the documentation never gets read or
>>maintained.  If that is your plan then you might as well remove it.
>

> The way to make sure the documentation is read is to put it on a website,
> not have an xml document in subdirectory of the main package.  The way to
> make sure the documentation is maintained is to make the build process as
> easy as possible.

Can we do a build target that just validates the doc source and doesn't
actually generate documentation from it? If I understand things
correctly, that'd make quick documentation changes easier in that you
don't need additional tools installed, but you can still check you
didn't irretrievably break things before checking in..

I find that most of the doc changes I make elsewhere are updates to
existing text to reflect code changes, rather than large rewrites .. so
actually generating and viewing the final documentation isn't so important.

-O