Re: pg_restore - selective restore use cases. HINT use DROP CASCADE

От Day, David
Тема Re: pg_restore - selective restore use cases. HINT use DROP CASCADE
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Adrian,

Thank you for your response.

I would note that the original dump archive created by pg_dump included all schemas and that I only intend
to restore a schema from it that is self contained, or a group of related tables from it.

I acknowledge the dangers inherent in selective restoration, it just seems
that a couple of additional options ( disable constraints, drop cascade ) to pg_restore
would improve this utility to users who have put some thought into laying out the
database design and failure cases from which they would like to recover.

To have a pg_restore selective  restoration options, (-n, -t ), and have it fail simply
because there are  foreign keys amongst the tables within that schema seems like
to much protection or protection that I would at least like to have option to over-ride.

It may well be that I could shoot myself in the foot, but I'd still like to own the firearm :+)

Regards

Dave Day