Postgres V9.1 - unix socket directory Ubuntu /tmp vs /var/run/postgres

От Day, David
Тема Postgres V9.1 - unix socket directory Ubuntu /tmp vs /var/run/postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-novice

Hi,

I have been working with a V9.0.5 postgresql source distribution under Ubuntu 10.04 where the tools (createdb, psql )  seemed to know that the socket communication file was found/created in /tmp.

I don’t recall having to set any configure options to have this work correctly.

Upon recent migration to V9.1.2   I find that on using pg_ctl to start the database the socket file is created in /tmp.  However the tools ( psql, creatdb ) seem to expect the socket file in /var/run/postgresql.

I have solved my problem by declaring the unix_socket_directory in postgresql.conf file to be /var/run/postgresql.    It does seem for a standard build they should have a common location?

Have I overlooked some configuration setting ?

Thanks

Dave