Re: embedded/"serverless" (Re: serverless postgresql)

От David Garamond
Тема Re: embedded/"serverless" (Re: serverless postgresql)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 11:23:40AM -0700, Rick Gigger wrote:
>
>>Yes but sometimes an enterprise level application may need to be put on a
>>laptop and taken off-line.  Having an embedded database that is compatible
>>with the one on the server makes this a bit easier to do.
>
> Why can't you just run a postgres instance for this?  What is magic
> about "embedded" for this sort of application?  Sounds like a clever
> wrapper script is all that's necessary for something like that, no?

The "magic" seems to be that the application appears to be managing the
database by its own, without the help of any separate database product.
I've seen commercial product that uses embedded Firebird and changes the
default extension of the database file from *.fdb into *.dat or something.

Of course, with the current cluster/database directory layout, it's
still easy to spot PostgreSQL footprints all over the place
(pg_hba.conf, pg_xlog/, PG_VERSION, etc).

--
dave