Re: serverless postgresql

От Jeff Bowden
Тема Re: serverless postgresql
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Christopher Browne wrote:

>jlb@houseofdistraction.com (Jeff Bowden) wrote:
>

>>Oh yeah, that brings me to another question.  I was looking at the
>>postmaster command-line switches and I couldn't find any that would
>>allow me to point it at an arbitrary config file but then I had a
>>look around and it seems that the .conf files are already used by
>>the various startup scripts.  Does postmaster itself ever read the
>>.conf files or is it controlled strictly by switches?
>>

>All of the .conf files are in one directory, and that directory is
>controlled by either the value of environment variable PGDATA or the
>"-D" command parameter.
>
>It seems not-overly-valuable to have the .conf files be able to be
>specified in random other locations.
>
>Is there some particular reason you have in mind why you would want to
>_ignore_ the configuration in $HOME/DBDIR and instead use
>configuration in some other random location?  I would think that
>collecting the config into one directory, as is done right now, is a
>_good_ thing.

If the existing user configuration could be reliably determined to be
sane and have sufficient permissions or could be made so, that would be
fine.

I am writing an app for users who are not necessarily knowledgeable
about databases.  If they don't have an existing useable postgres
configuration, I would like for my app to be able to create one without
forcing the user to have to be root or learn about postgres
configuration.  The data for this app should remain private to the user
who created it and there is no need for concurrent access.