Re: I got bit by that darn GEQO setting again...

От Mike Mascari
Тема Re: I got bit by that darn GEQO setting again...
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:

>Mike Mascari <mascarm@mascari.com> writes:
>

>>Tom Lane wrote:
>>

>>>Uh ... dare I ask whether you think it's too high?  Or too low?
>>>

>>Too low. In fact, after testing some of my queries which are a bit large
>>(# of tables) in size, I usually just wind up turning it off.
>>

>Well, that's why it's configurable ;-).

True!

>But don't you find that it
>takes a long time to plan the larger queries?  How many tables are
>involved, exactly?

Well, this particular query uses a UNION where the first SELECT query is
composed of an 11-way join, and the second 5. So it is not testing the
64-way join scenario. From memory, the most joins I execute in a single
query is in the low twenties. In those scenerios, I had used explicit
join syntax to improve planning time.

I ran a crude script  to test the differences in planning time (EXPLAIN)
and execution time (EXPLAIN ANALYZE). I wanted to do the ANALYZE as well
since the plans generated were different and I feared the GEQO generated
plan may be the actual cause of the sluggishness, instead of the actual
planning. The script just feeds the SQL to psql, so I know it is timing
the client, connection costs, psql formatting, etc...a.k.a. crude. But
as you can see, over ten runs for each category, GEQO loses big. I get
(in seconds):

      label      | count |  avg   |       stddev
 NO GEQO PLAN    |    10 | 0.8809 | 0.00564604089409752
 NO GEQO ANALYZE |    10 | 1.1534 |  0.0093594871654564
 GEQO PLAN       |    10 | 3.0127 |   0.119783183757633
 GEQO ANALYZE    |    10 | 6.0446 |    2.50524499578163

Mike Mascari

От: "Keith C. Perry"
Сообщение: Re: How should I get started?
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: I got bit by that darn GEQO setting again...