Re: plpgsql by default

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: plpgsql by default
Дата
Re: plpgsql by default  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> What does enabling plpgsql do via access that you can't just do from an
> SQL query?

SQL isn't Turing-complete --- plpgsql is.  So if our would-be hacker has
a need to do some computation incidental to his hack, he can certainly
get it done in plpgsql, but not necessarily in plain SQL.

I don't feel a need to offer specific examples as requested by Andrew.
The point here is that we're offering a significantly more powerful
swiss army knife when we include plpgsql (or any other PL), and it's
hard to foresee the implications of that with any certainty.