Re: I got bit by that darn GEQO setting again...

От Mike Mascari
Тема Re: I got bit by that darn GEQO setting again...
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:

>Mike Mascari <mascarm@mascari.com> writes:
>

>>But just as a quick notice to those upgrading from 7.3 to 7.4 with fully
>>normalized databases requiring > 11 joins, the GEQO setting can be a
>>killer...
>>

>Uh ... dare I ask whether you think it's too high?  Or too low?

Too low. In fact, after testing some of my queries which are a bit large
(# of tables) in size, I usually just wind up turning it off. I know
that's insufficient evidence to do anything, but I have yet to stumble
upon a query where GEQO performs better. Do the ODSL folks run their
performance tests with it on? off? both? I'm sorry I haven't had the
time to develop a rigorous test... :-(

Mike Mascari

От: David Helgason
Сообщение: Re: I got bit by that darn GEQO setting again...
От: Leif K-Brooks
Сообщение: How should I get started?