recovering a control file from a shutdown database....

От Jerry Asher
Тема recovering a control file from a shutdown database....
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Somehow in upgrading from 7.1.2 to 7.1.3 (and with much operator error
along the way), my database became corrupted.

I believe it is only the pg_control file that was damaged.

The database was completely shutdown at the time.

Is there anyway to create a new pg_control file, based on the contents of
the database itself?

The symptoms are that the

data/global/1262 file has a file size of 8192 bytes and a time stamp of
last June.
data/global/pg_control has a file size of 16384 bytes and a time stamp of
today.

When the postmaster starts up, it tells me that:

     database was initialized with BLCKSZ 16384,
     but the backend was compiled with BLCKSZ 8192.
     looks like you need an initdb.

Bleh!  I would prefer to not waste my db, and I assume initdb will do just
that.

Can anything be done to recover the pg_control file?

Thanks,

Jerry
Jerry Asher                      jerry@theashergroup.com
1678 Shattuck Avenue Suite 161   Tel: (510) 549-2980
Berkeley, CA 94709               Fax: (877) 311-8688