Re: Inserts in triggers Follow Up

От Morgan Curley
Тема Re: Inserts in triggers Follow Up
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Well, I couldn't figure out why my INSERT INTO wasn't working so I went with using EXECUTE and concat'ing everything together.

One other problem I am having in that proc is SELECT'ing INTO a var.

declare
        id lookup_sports.sport_id%TYPE;
begin
        SELECT INTO id sport_id FROM lookup_sports WHERE....some clause

id is always null

but the following works
 declare
        rs      RECORD;
        id      lookup_sports.sport_id%TYPE;
begin
        SELECT INTO rs * FROM lookup_sports WHERE....some clause
        id := rs.sport_id

this doesn't work either
        SELECT INTO rs sport_id FROM lookup_sports WHERE....some clause

Any ideas

Thanks,
Morgan

P.S.
good suggestion to differentiate my vars from my columns. For the sake of expediency I named them the same so when I was writing the insert statements I could just copy/past my columns list into my values list.

Morgan

From: "Morgan Curley" <mcurley@e4media.com>

> Are there server setting that need to be set in order to do inserts from
> trigger functions?

Don't think so. Triggers run with the permissions of the creator, not the
caller though so you might want to look into that.

> I keep getting:  ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "$1"
> and the DEBUG log entry points to the line with the insert on it.
> i.e.

Could you quote a few lines of code either side - especially something with
the $1

> INSERT events ( event_id, sport_id ,name ,feed_code, start_time,
> active_flag, create_timestamp, update_timestamp ) VALUES ( event_id
> ,sport_id ,feed_code ,feed_code, create_timestamp, 1, create_timestamp,
> create_timestamp );
>
> where the values list is a list of predefined vars.

Well it should be INSERT INTO ... but I presume this is a cut & paste issue.

So you have variable names the same as all the field names? I'd probably
change them (stick v_ on the front or something). Even if plpgsql doesn't
get confused readers will.

- Richard Huxton