Dependency tracking

От Jean-Michel POURE
Тема Dependency tracking
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello all,

>At the time of creation function body could be parsed and referenced
>objects stored in system table (or function could be marked as dirty
>and referenced objects would stored at first compilation and after
>each subsequent successful after-dirtied-compilation).
>Isn't it possible for PL/_ANY_L_ too?

This is what the latest CVS version of pgAdmin does in a limited way:
http://www.greatbridge.org/project/pgadmin/cvs/cvs.php/binaries/readme.html

When a function is modified with DROP/CREATE, it is marked dirty.
pgAdmin checks dependencies between functions, triggers and views
and goes through a complete rebuilding process.

My database has more than 150 PL/pgSQL functions along with views and triggers.
A normal human cannot keep track of dependencies by his own means.

Dave Page and I added this feature to pgAdmin because we were normal humans
and could not wait too long. When will dependency tracking be available
server-side?

We are now working on more advanced features. See:
http://www.greatbridge.org/project/pgadmin/cvs/cvs.php/pgadmin/help/todo.html

Best regards,
Jean-Michel POURE
pgAdmin Development Team