Re: new type proposal

От Tim Uckun
Тема Re: new type proposal
Дата
Список pgsql-general

> > MS sql server has a TIMESTAMP field which acts exactly like LAST_MODIFIED
> > type you proposed. I find this field very handy when attempting to
> > synchronize data. I would welcome such a field type in postgres.
> >

>There already is something called timestamp, and I thought it was a sql
>standard type.

MS SQL server has a different terminology I think. They use DATETIME to
indicate the equavalent of a postgres TIMESTAMP. In sql server timestamp is
a read only type that is set by the server. Anytime the row is updated or
on insert it puts in a timestamp.

Some people have indicated that perhaps this does not belong in the core
because it's easily achieved with triggers and I think they have a point
but maybe what's really needed are domains. Not just your average every day
domains but supercool domains with triggers!.

that way you can define a domain called UPDATED using a timestamp field and
a insert or an update trigger perhaps even a default value or a check. This
would make it easier to insert the same rules and triggers into every table
just by adding a field with the defined domain.

Interbase  support domains which let you define checks and defaults but not
triggers. I know this kind of grandiose but it would be cool.
              Tim Uckun
       Mobile Intelligence Unit.
    "There are some who call me TIM?"