Re: Process for populating tables in new database

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Process for populating tables in new database
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 12/1/18 6:09 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> I have a new database with five tables, and text files with data to
> populate
> the tables using the insert command.
>
> 1. Each table has a sequential primary key. Should I manually add keys to
> each insert row or will postgres generate it automatically? Example, for
> the
> companies table:
>
> org_id    | integer               |           | not null |
> nextval('companies_org_id_seq'::regclass)
> org_name  | character varying(64) |           | not null |
>
> 2. Should I use sepatate files as input to each table or can I combine them
> in a single file? For example, adding a company name and contact name for
> someone in that company using input commands for both tables in a single
> file? I will need to provide the primary key to the company table as the
> foreign key in contact table and have not before pupulated multiple related
> tables in a new database from .sql files.

Forgot to add that if you pre-assign the keys to the serial field you
will need to advance the sequence to a value past the last key value to
avoid a duplicate key error when you let the sequence assign numbers.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com