Re: Incrementally Updated Backups and restartpoints

От Fujii Masao
Тема Re: Incrementally Updated Backups and restartpoints
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

I thought of this issue again since the related question arrived.
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-admin/2010-03/msg00036.php

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 7:13 AM, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 9:34 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
> <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> No, that's not an issue. We only wait for the backup-end record if we
>> haven't seen yet since we started recovery from the base backup.
>> Assuming the standby had reached that point already before the new
>> backup from the standby started, backupStartLoc is zero in the control file.
>
> OK. That assumption should be documented?

This comment is meaningless. Sorry for noise.

> And, when we start an archive recovery from the backup from the standby,
> we seem to reach a safe starting point before database has actually become
> consistent. It's because backupStartLoc is zero. Isn't this an issue?

This issue seems to still happen. So should this be fixed for 9.0?
Or only writing a note in document is enough for 9.0? I'm leaning
towards the latter.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao