Re: How should pg_standby get over the gap of timeline?

От Fujii Masao
Тема Re: How should pg_standby get over the gap of timeline?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi, Heikki. Thanks for the comment!

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 11:24 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
> Fujii Masao wrote:
>>
>> In the current Synch Rep patch, the standby cannot catch up with the
>> primary which has a bigger timeline.
>
> That would only happen if you've performed an archive recovery in the
> primary. If you've done PITR in the primary, I don't think there's any
> guarantee that it's even possible to catch up the standby. The standby might
> already have replayed a WAL file from an earlier timeline, that isn't part
> of the history of the bigger timeline.

I assume the situation of making the standby (the original primary) catch up
with the primary (the original standby) after failover. Since a timeline is
incremented when a failover finishes archive recovery on a standby, the
timelines differ between two servers.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao