Re: invalid alloc size error possible in shm_mq

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: invalid alloc size error possible in shm_mq
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On 2020-07-07 12:30, Markus Wanner wrote:
> in shm_mq_receive of shm_mq.c, a huge payload may trigger an unjustified
> "invalid memory alloc request size" error due to the way the buffer size
> is increased.
>
> I understand that this fine piece of infrastructure may not have been
> designed for huge payloads.  I still argue it should better not fail
> that way for payloads between half a gigabyte and MaxAllocSize.  The
> attached patch adds an appropriate assertion (documenting the upper
> limit) and avoids the error by limiting the allocation size to
> MaxAllocSize (to correct for such huge payloads below the limit).

I wonder if the assertion is appropriate or whether it should be a full
error check.  Is anything on the sending side ensuring that the maximum
size is kept?  All the size variables are Size/size_t so could be much
larger than MaxAllocSize.

Robert, thoughts?

Сообщение: Re: ALTER TABLE ALTER COLUMN SET TYPE crash
Сообщение: Re: ALTER TABLE ALTER COLUMN SET TYPE crash