Re: multicolumn index column order

От Valentine Gogichashvili
Тема Re: multicolumn index column order
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 7/24/07, andrew@pillette.com <andrew@pillette.com> wrote:
valgog <valgog@gmail.com> wrote ..
> On Jul 23, 7:00 pm, t...@sss.pgh.pa.us (Tom Lane) wrote:
> > valgog < val...@gmail.com> writes:
> > > how to build an multicolumn index with one column order ASCENDING and
> > > another column order DESCENDING?
> >
> > Use 8.3 ;-)
> >
> > In existing releases you could fake it with a custom reverse-sorting
> > operator class, but it's a pain in the neck to create one.

I've often gotten what I want by using a calculated index on (f1, -f2). ORDER BY will take an expression, e.g. ORDER BY f1, -f2. Simpler than a custom operator.

Yes, this is true, but I do now know how to make text order be reversible? There is no - (minus) operator for text value. By now it is not a problem for me, but theoretically I do not see other chance to reverse text fields order...