Re: deadlock debug methodology question

От antiochus antiochus
Тема Re: deadlock debug methodology question
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 4:20 PM, Bill Moran <wmoran@collaborativefusion.com> wrote:

Please don't top-post.  I've attempted to reconstruct the conversation
flow.

> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 2:57 PM, Bill Moran <wmoran@collaborativefusion.com>
> wrote:

> > > I have a deadlock situation, two transactions waiting on each other to
> > > complete. Based on the details below, would anyone have recommendations
> > for
> > > me, please?
> >
> > I have a theory on deadlocks, and that theory is that it's damn near
> > impossible to track them all down, so your best bet is to wrap all
> > SQL calls in a function that detects deadlock and sleep/retries.
>
> One possibility might then seem to do something like:
>
>     update table tt where ID in (select ID from tt where ... order by ID asc
> for update);
>
> but unfortunately 'for update' is not allows in subqueries. Therefore, one
> could do:
>
>     select ID from tt where ... order by ID asc for update;
>     update table tt where ...;
>
> However, in read committed mode, it is not guaranteed that the subset of rows
> selected with the two 'where' tests will be the same...

I can see two solutions:

BEGIN;
SET TRANSACTION SERIALIZABLE
select ID from tt where ... order by ID asc for update;
update table tt where ...;
COMMIT;

or

BEGIN;
LOCK TABLE tt IN SHARE MODE;
select ID from tt where ... order by ID asc for update;
update table tt where ...;
COMMIT;

Depending on exactly what you need to accomplish.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.

wmoran@collaborativefusion.com
Phone: 412-422-3463x4023

Thanks, Bill.

For the past fews days, I've been making the application work using your second suggestion (what I meant by "some form of explicit locking"). It does works.

However, it is the first explicit lock used in this growing application and I was trying to not have any. The rows of this table are, from a business logic perspective, partitioned into distinct sets (think one set per customer) and a transaction would never involve rows across these sets. So in the original design, concurrency is great across customer requests. By using the table-level lock, writing transactions targeting these non-overlapping per-customer sets end up waiting on each other...

If that is the best we can do, that is it. However, I do not understand why acquiring row-level locks in consistent order does not seem to be enough, or if that is so, why my methodology to enforce this ordering is flawed. Note that I also use foreign keys and I am aware of the fact that constraints are verified (and lock acquired) after row insertion and this is taken into account as well. I could have a "per-customer" lock, to improve concurrency across customers while avoiding deadlocks, or use seralizable transactions, but I was wondering if a methodology to acomplish what I was originally trying to do has been documented anywhere.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

Regards,

A.