Re: [HACKERS] Secondary index access optimizations

От Konstantin Knizhnik
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Secondary index access optimizations
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 12.09.2018 08:14, David Rowley wrote:
> On 12 September 2018 at 08:32, Konstantin Knizhnik
> <k.knizhnik@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
>> Also the patch proposed by you is much simple and does mostly the same. Yes,
>> it is not covering CHECK constraints,
>> but as far as partitioning becomes now standard in Postgres, I do not think
>> that much people will use old inheritance mechanism and CHECK constraints.
>> In any case, there are now many optimizations which works only for
>> partitions, but not for inherited tables.
> I've not had time to look at your updated patch yet, but one thing I
> thought about after my initial review, imagine you have a setup like:
>
> create table listp (a int, b int) partition by list(a);
> create table listp1 partition of listp for values in(1);
> create index listp_a_b_idx on listp (a,b);
>
> and a query:
>
> select * from listp where a = 1 order by b;
>
> if we remove the "a = 1" qual, then listp_a_b_idx can't be used.

Looks like this qual is considered for choosing optimal path before it
is removed from list of quals in set_append_rel_size.
At least the presence of this patch is not breaking the plan in this case:

create table listp (a int, b int) partition by list(a);
create table listp1 partition of listp for values in(1);
create table listp2 partition of listp for values in(2);
create index listp_a_b_idx on listp (a,b);
insert into listp values (1,generate_series(1,100000));
insert into listp values (2,generate_series(100001,200000));
explain select * from listp where a = 1 order by b;
                                            QUERY PLAN
  Merge Append  (cost=0.30..4630.43 rows=100000 width=8)
    Sort Key: listp1.b
    ->  Index Only Scan using listp1_a_b_idx on listp1
(cost=0.29..3630.42 rows=100000 width=8)
(3 rows)

--
Konstantin Knizhnik
The Russian Postgres Company