Re: WIP: Data at rest encryption

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: WIP: Data at rest encryption
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 6/12/16 2:13 AM, Ants Aasma wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 5:23 AM, Haribabu Kommi
> <kommi.haribabu@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > 1. Instead of doing the entire database files encryption, how about
>> > providing user an option to protect only some particular tables that
>> > wants the encryption at table/tablespace level. This not only provides
>> > an option to the user, it reduces the performance impact on tables
>> > that doesn't need any encryption. The problem with this approach
>> > is that every xlog record needs to validate to handle the encryption
>> > /decryption, instead of at page level.
> Is there a real need for this? The customers I have talked to want to
> encrypt the whole database and my goal is to make the feature fast
> enough to make that feasible for pretty much everyone. I guess
> switching encryption off per table would be feasible, but the key
> setup would still need to be done at server startup. Per record
> encryption would result in some additional information leakage though.
> Overall I thought it would not be worth it, but I'm willing to have my
> mind changed on this.

I actually design with this in mind. Tables that contain sensitive info
go into designated schemas, partly so that you can blanket move all of
those to an encrypted tablespace (or safer would be to move things not
in those schemas to an unencrypted tablespace). Since that can be done
with an encrypted filesystem maybe that's good enough. (It's not really
clear to me what this buys us over an encrypted FS, other than a feature
comparison checkmark...)
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)   mobile: 512-569-9461