Re: Bigtime scaling of Postgresql (cluster and stuff I suppose)

От chris smith
Тема Re: Bigtime scaling of Postgresql (cluster and stuff I suppose)
Дата
Re: Bigtime scaling of Postgresql (cluster and stuff I suppose)  (Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>)
Список pgsql-general
> Ever read anything on how myspace is laid out?  The big ones need
> replication to handle the traffic.

Actually no.

http://highscalability.com/livejournal-architecture

"Using MySQL replication only takes you so far." (Yeh it's mysql but
the point is valid regardless).
"You can't keep adding read slaves and scale."

A lot use sharding now to keep scaling (limiting to "X" users/accounts
per database system and just keep adding more database servers for the
next "X" accounts).

Myspace info here:

http://highscalability.com/myspace-architecture

At 3mill users:

- split its user base into chunks of 1 million accounts and put all
the data keyed to those accounts in a separate instance of SQL Server

I'm sure there's replication behind the scenes to help with
read-queries but it's definitely not a magic wand that will fix
everything.

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/