Query plan excluding index on view

От Matt Klinker
Тема Query plan excluding index on view
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
I'm trying to fine tune this query to return in a reasonable amount of time and am having difficulties getting the query to run the way I'd like.  I have a couple of semi-related entities that are stored in individual tables, say, A and B.  There is then a view created that pulls together the common fields from these 2 tables.  These are then related through a m:m relationship to a classification.  Quick definitions of all of this follows:

Table: ItemA
id     <- primary key
name
description
<addtl fields for A>

Table: ItemB
id    <- primary key
name
description
<addtl fields for B>

SELECT id, name, description from ItemA
UNION ALL
SELECT id, name, description from ItemB

Table: xref
id   <- primary key
item_id  <- indexed, points to either ItemA.id or ItemB.id
classifcation_id  <- indexed, points to classification.id

Table: classifcation
id   <- primiary key
name

I'm trying to query from the classification, through the xref, and to the view to get a list of Items (either A or B) that are tied to a specific classification.  My query is rather simple, baiscally as follows:

SELECT id, name, description
FROM combination c
    INNER JOIN xref on c.id = xref.item_id
WHERE xref.classifcation_id = 1

This query runs in about 2-3 minutes (I should mention that ItemA has ~18M records and xref has ~26M records - and both will continue to grow).  The explain text shows a disregard for the indexes on ItemA and ItemB and a sequence scan is done on both of them.  However, if I rewrite this query to join directly to ItemA rather to the view it runs in ~50ms because it now uses the proper index.

I know it's generally requested to include the EXPLAIN text when submitting a specific question, but I thought perhaps this was generic enough that someone might at least have some suggestions.  If required I can certainly work up a simpler example, or I could include my actual explain (though it doesn't exactly match everything defined above as I tried to keep things rather generic).

Any links would be nice as well, from all my searching the past few days, most of the performance tuning resources I could find where about tuning the server itself, not really a specific query - at least not one that dealt with this issue.  If you've read this far - thank you much!