Re: pg_upgrade analyze script

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: pg_upgrade analyze script
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2020-10-06 11:43, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> For a long time now, pg_upgrade drops a script (analyze_new_cluster.sh)
> that just calls vacuumdb to run the analyze in stages. This script made
> a lot of sense back when it actually implemented the stages, but these
> days since it's just calling a single command, I think it's just
> unnecessary complication.
>
> I suggest we drop it and just replace it with instructions to call
> vacuumdb directly.
>
> Attached patch does this. It also removes the support in the
> instructions that talk about pre-8.4 databases, which I believe is dead
> code per
> https://postgr.es/m/CABUevEx-D0PNVe00tkeQRGennZQwDtBJn=493MJt-x6sppbUxA@mail.gmail.com.

I agree that the script should be removed.  It makes a lot of things
simpler.

Here is the thread that proposed implementing vacuumdb-in-stages.  There
were discussions then about removing the script also, but didn't come to
a conclusion.

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/1389237323.30068.8.camel%40vanquo.pezone.net