Extreme preformance

От Dennis Fleurbaaij
Тема Extreme preformance
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

I'm creating a database for a file list on a lanparty for 400 people. The
list is expected
to hold somewhere between 2.5 to 5 million tupels and that list is refreshed
every 60 mins. Every file record hold 5 varchar fields and a int8 for the
filesize.

In the meantime people are searching on this database at an expected rate of
two queries/second whith a peak of 50 selects/sec or something like that.

The hardware for this database is either a dual P3 700 with 500Mb ram and
RAID-0. my question is can this be done ? The application that drives it is
capable of pushing that
much data in no time but my question is cah the database hold it and more
important,
where can I find a guide to tweaking the for such violence ?

Ow incase the dual P3 is not enough we have a spare Quad Xeon 700 with a gig
of ram but I'd like to uset that for other purposes.

tnx in advance,
Dennis Fleurbaaij
www.core-lan.nl (sorry dutch language only :/ )