RE: Extension relocation vs. schema qualification

От Verona, Luiz
Тема RE: Extension relocation vs. schema qualification
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
I am writing to resurrect this 3-year-old thread. Attached is a patch to address earthdistance related failures during
pg_restore.

The proposed patch will:
 - Create a new version of earthdistance (1.2) and make this new version default
 - Change earthdistance relocatable from true to false
 - SET SEARCH_PATH=@extschema@ in earthdistance functions
 - Create validation to restrict earthdistance to be created only in the same schema as cube
 - Change cube extension relocatable from true to false to avoid a relocate of cube which will break earthdistance.
 - Change documentation [1] FROM "It is strongly recommended that earthdistance and cube be installed in the same
schema".TO "it's required  that earthdistance and cube be installed and kept in the same schema"

[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/earthdistance.html#EARTHDISTANCE

----------
## Proposal - pg_restore test:

$ psql <<EOF
> select version();
> drop extension if exists cube cascade;
> create extension earthdistance cascade ;
>
> drop schema if exists test cascade;
> create schema test;
>
> --set search_path=test,public;
> drop table if exists test.addresses cascade;
> create table test.addresses (
>       latitude float8,
>       longitude float8
>     );
>
> CREATE INDEX locations ON test.addresses USING gist(ll_to_earth(latitude, longitude));
>
> \dx
> EOF
                                                  version
 PostgreSQL 15devel on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (GCC) 7.3.1 20180712 (Red Hat 7.3.1-12), 64-bit
(1 row)

NOTICE:  drop cascades to 2 other objects
DETAIL:  drop cascades to extension earthdistance
drop cascades to index test.locations
DROP EXTENSION
NOTICE:  installing required extension "cube"
CREATE EXTENSION
NOTICE:  drop cascades to table test.addresses
DROP SCHEMA
CREATE SCHEMA
NOTICE:  table "addresses" does not exist, skipping
DROP TABLE
CREATE TABLE
CREATE INDEX
                                    List of installed extensions
     Name      | Version |   Schema   |                         Description
---------------+---------+------------+--------------------------------------------------------------
 cube          | 1.5     | public     | data type for multidimensional cubes
 earthdistance | 1.2     | public     | calculate great-circle distances on the surface of the Earth
 plpgsql       | 1.0     | pg_catalog | PL/pgSQL procedural language
(3 rows)

$ ## dump the schema
$ rm /tmp/test.dmp
$ pg_dump --schema test --format=custom --file /tmp/test.dmp
$
$ ## drop the schema
$ psql <<EOF
> drop schema test cascade ;
> EOF
NOTICE:  drop cascades to table test.addresses
DROP SCHEMA
$
$
$ ## attempt to restore the schema
$ pg_restore -d postgres /tmp/test.dmp
$ ## Check restored schema.
$ psql <<EOF
> \d+ test.addresses
> EOF
                                               Table "test.addresses"
  Column   |       Type       | Collation | Nullable | Default | Storage | Compression | Stats target | Description
-----------+------------------+-----------+----------+---------+---------+-------------+--------------+-------------
 latitude  | double precision |           |          |         | plain   |             |              |
 longitude | double precision |           |          |         | plain   |             |              |
    "locations" gist (ll_to_earth(latitude, longitude))
Access method: heap

----------
## Proposal - schema dependency validation test:
$ psql <<EOF
> select version();
> drop schema if exists test cascade;
> create schema test;
> drop extension if exists cube cascade;
> create extension cube;
> create extension earthdistance with schema test;
>
> \dx
> EOF
                                                  version
 PostgreSQL 15devel on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (GCC) 7.3.1 20180712 (Red Hat 7.3.1-12), 64-bit
(1 row)

DROP SCHEMA
CREATE SCHEMA
DROP EXTENSION
CREATE EXTENSION
ERROR:  earthdistance extension must be installed in the same schema as the cube extension
CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function inline_code_block line 11 at RAISE
                     List of installed extensions
  Name   | Version |   Schema   |             Description
 cube    | 1.5     | public     | data type for multidimensional cubes
 plpgsql | 1.0     | pg_catalog | PL/pgSQL procedural language
(2 rows)

Luiz Verona