Re: Doubts about FK

От Rafael Domiciano
Тема Re: Doubts about FK
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
2008/9/12 Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>
On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 12:14 PM, Rafael Domiciano
<rafael.domiciano@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> In my DB I have a couple of FK, so the change of referenced columns is a
> quite complicated.
> Today, I DISABLE TRIGGER ALL on the tables envolved and then ENABLE TRIGGER
> ALL to back them.
> Is there a better way to do that?

Depends.  Are other people connected to the server when you do it?
disable trigger disables the triggers for everybody, not just you if I
remember correctly.  If other folks are using the db, then they can
insert bad data during that period.

I do it in a transaction, so there's no problem about the other folks...!

> I read something about SET CONSTRAINTS ALL DEFFERED, but I don't know how to
> use it.

the constraints have to created as deferrable to do that.  then, in a
transaction, you can do something like:
Can I turn my FK into deferrable FK only in that transaction?

begin;
update in a way that would normally violate an FK
insert in a way that fixes the previous statement's FK relationship
commit;

and it will work as long as the constraints all make sense by the time
you get to commit.
That's what I wanna to do!

Note that unique constraints are not deferrable in pgsql.

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления: