Re: MVCC for massively parallel inserts

От Alex Satrapa
Тема Re: MVCC for massively parallel inserts
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> If you have the money to purchase multiple machines, you can throw more
> hard drives at it...
>
> Hard drives are cheap... (well ide/sata anyway).

Properly set up in a RAID-1/0 array, you'll get much better "bandwidth"
out of those drives. Whether you RAID in software or hardware is up to
you and your budget - but if you choose hardware, make sure you actually
get a hardware RAID controller, not one of the cheapies which are just
multiple-IDE-controllers-with-special-drivers.

We use a 3Ware 7500 (can't remember the model name for the life of me),
with 8 drives in a 4x2 RAID 1/0.

IIRC, if the inserts are done in a transaction, the indexing gets done
at the end of the batch rather than after each insert.

Regards
Alex Satrapa

Сообщение: Re: MVCC for massively parallel inserts
Сообщение: Re: MVCC for massively parallel inserts