Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)

От Kaarel
Тема Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Christopher Browne wrote: <blockquote cite="midm3k75jcmbq.fsf@wolfe.cbbrowne.com" type="cite"><pre wrap="">In the last
excitingepisode, Randolf Richardson <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:rr@8x.ca"><rr@8x.ca></a> wrote:
</pre><blockquotetype="cite"><pre wrap="">        Of course I'll attempt to get an official response from the

legal department of such a company before jumping to any
conclusions.  In the case of MySQL, if I wanted to develop a project
that was not open source and didn't comply with the GPL, I'd send a
letter (or eMail) to MySQL and ask for clarity on what my
obligations would be with regards to their licensing and my product
(and would also include a general outline of how my product will use
I'm reasonably sure that their answer would point you to the "brief
description," namely:
 "This is our licensing policy in brief: Our software is 100% GPL, and if yours is also 100% GPL (or OSI compliant),
thenyou never have to pay us for the licences. In all other instances, you are better served by our commercial
licence."

Their "licensing page" says it quite explicitly:
 "To anyone in doubt, we recommend the commercial licence. It is  never wrong."

Which gives the pretty clear underlying message:

It's not really "open source" or "free software;" to anyone in doubt,
reality is that it's traditionally-licensed commercial software, at
several hundred dollars a pop.

I can't see them being particularly interested in giving explanations
class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.mysql.com/products/licensing-examples.html">http://www.mysql.com/products/licensing-examples.html</a><br
/><br/> <quote>You need a license if you sell a product designed specifically for use with MySQL or that requires
theMySQL server to function at all. This is true whether or not you provide MySQL for your client as part of your
href="http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2003-09/msg01400.php">http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2003-09/msg01400.php</a><br
OSI-approvedand MySQL-approved open source licence ) or you will need a commercial licence of MySQL." </tt><br /><br
/><tt>Sometimespeople say "But I cannot open source my application!" and they may have valid reasons for this. Our
responseis then: "If you have a valid reason not to be open source, wouldn't that same reasoning apply to us?".</tt><br
/><br/><tt>This goes to the core of MySQL AB's business idea of Quid pro Quo - if you are open source, we are open

Сообщение: Re: Money data type in PostgreSQL?
Сообщение: Re: Money data type in PostgreSQL?