Was: Triggers, Stored Procedures, PHP

От Shane D
Тема Was: Triggers, Stored Procedures, PHP
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Jason Tesser wrote:

> [snip]
> A programmer that doesn't document stuff needs to find a new job :-)
> This is more of an issue with management.  Anyone who does database apps
> for on any kind of a large scale will tell you that views, triggers, etc..
> are essential.  I am currently in teh process of writing a complete solution
> for the college I develop for.  Finance, accounting, pos, registration,
> student tracking etc...

   I'm going to hop on this thread and ask a question rather than rant
(although ranting is fine by me ... rant away).

   Could someone explain to me the usefulness of views?  I understand
how they are created.  I understand a single query can be created as a
view returning all records in a single column of a single table, or
maybe even multiple columns across many tables using a complex join.

   That sounds find if all you want to do is to populate your drop-down
list box with selection choices or use the same search criteria each
time.  But if I want to access certain information for a particular
customer that requires joins and the like, then a view would be great.
But as far as I know, I am unable to place search parameters into a
view.  Is this false or am I totally missing the point of views?

   Shane D