bug

От mlavenne2@yahoo.com
Тема bug
Дата
Список pgsql-patches
If PostgreSQL failed to compile on your computer or you found a bug that
is likely to be specific to one platform then please fill out this form
and e-mail it to pgsql-ports@postgresql.org.

To report any other bug, fill out the form below and e-mail it to
pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org.

If you not only found the problem but solved it and generated a patch
then e-mail it to pgsql-patches@postgresql.org instead.  Please use the
command "diff -c" to generate the patch.

You may also enter a bug report at http://www.postgresql.org/ instead of
e-mail-ing this form.

                        POSTGRESQL BUG REPORT TEMPLATE

Your name        :    max
Your email address    :    mlavenne2@yahoo.com

System Configuration
---------------------
  Architecture (example: Intel Pentium)      : AMD K6/2

  Operating System (example: Linux 2.0.26 ELF)     : Linux 2.4.20 (slackware)

  PostgreSQL version (example: PostgreSQL-7.4):   PostgreSQL-7.4

  Compiler used (example:  gcc 2.95.2)        : gcc 3.2.2

I experienced a system crash (power related - my system is stable)
So, postmaster.pid was still there but had wrong pids and pgsql didn't restart
correcly for some reason.
Then, I tried to shut it down manually by using /etc/rc.d/rc.pgsql
 (pointing to your startup script)

and it made my system hang. I don't have a console on my linux box, so I never undesrtood why
shutdown and reboot commands where hanging.

Please describe a way to repeat the problem.   Please try to provide a

If you know how this problem might be fixed, list the solution below:

I patched it, here my diff -c pg_ctl pg_ctl_fixed:

*** pg_ctl      Sat Nov 22 13:21:39 2003
--- pg_ctl_fixed        Sat Nov 22 13:21:14 2003
***************
*** 274,280 ****
        kill "$sig" $PID

        # wait for postmaster to shut down
!       if [ "$wait" = yes -o "$op" = restart ];then
            cnt=0
            $silence_echo $ECHO_N "waiting for postmaster to shut down..."$ECHO_C

--- 274,280 ----
        kill "$sig" $PID

        # wait for postmaster to shut down
!       if [ "$?" = 0 -a ["$wait" = yes -o "$op" = restart] ];then
            cnt=0
            $silence_echo $ECHO_N "waiting for postmaster to shut down..."$ECHO_C

I added the test on the kill result, so that it doesn't wait for something that will never occur