Re: [HACKERS] More detail on settings for pgavd?

От Matthew T. O'Connor
Тема Re: [HACKERS] More detail on settings for pgavd?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Josh Berkus wrote:

>Matthew,
>

>>True, but I think it would be one hour once, rather than 30 minutes 4
>>times.
>>

>Well, generally it would be about 6-8 times at 2-4 minutes each.

Are you saying that you can vacuum a 1 million row table in 2-4
minutes?  While a vacuum of the same table with an additional 1 million
dead tuples would take an hour?

>>This is one of the things I had hoped to add to pg_autovacuum, but never
>>got to.  In addition to just the information from the stats collector on
>>inserts updates and deletes, pg_autovacuum should also look at the FSM,
>>and make decisions based on it.  Anyone looking for a project?
>>

>Hmmm ... I think that's the wrong approach.  Once your database is populated,
>it's very easy to determine how to set the FSM for a given pg_avd level.   If
>you're vacuuming after 20% updates, for example, just set fsm_pages to 20% of
>the total database pages plus growth & safety margins.

Ok.

>I'd be really reluctant to base pv-avd frequency on the fsm settings instead.
>What if the user loads 8GB of data but leaves fsm_pages at the default of
>10,000?  You can't do much with that; you'd have to vacuum if even 1% of the
>data changed.

Ok, but as you said above it's very easy to set the FSM once you know
your db size.

>The other problem is that calculating data pages from a count of
>updates+deletes would require pg_avd to keep more statistics and do more math
>for every table.  Do we want to do this?

I would think the math is simple enough to not be a big problem.  Also,
I did not recommend looking blindly at the FSM as our guide, rather
consulting it as another source of information as to when it would be
useful to vacuum.  I don't have a good plan as to how to incorporate
this data, but to a large extent the FSM already tracks table activity
and gives us the most accurate answer about storage growth (short of
using something like contrib/pgstattuple which takes nearly the same
amount of time as an actual vacuum)

>>But I can't imagine that 2% makes any difference on a large table.  In
>>fact I would think that 10-15% would hardly be noticable, beyond that
>>I'm not sure.
>>

>I've seen performance lag at 10% of records, especially in tables where both
>update and select activity focus on one subset of the table (calendar tables,
>for example).

Ok.

>>Valid points, and again I think this points to the fact that
>>pg_autovacuum needs to be more configurable.  Being able to set
>>different thresholds for different tables will help considerably.  In
>>fact, you may find that some tables should have a vac threshold much
>>larger than the analyze thresold, while other tables might want the
>>opposite.
>>

>Sure.  Though I think we can make the present configuration work with a little
>adjustment of the numbers.   I'll have a chance to test on production
>databases soon.

I look forward to hearing results from your testing.

>>I would be surprized if you can notice the difference between a vacuum
>>analyze and a vacuum, especially on large tables.
>>

>It's substantial for tables with high statistics settings.   A 1,000,000 row
>table with 5 columns set to statistics=250 can take 3 minutes to analyze on a
>medium-grade server.

In my testing, I never changed the default statistics settings.

>>I think you need two separate schedules.  There are lots of times where
>>a vacuum doesn't help, and an analyze is all that is needed
>>

>Agreed.  And I've just talked to a client who may want to use pg_avd's ANALYZE
>scheduling but not use vacuum at all.   BTW, I think we should have a setting
>for this; for example, if -V is -1, don't vacuum.

That would be nice.  Easy to add, and something I never thought of....

>>I'm open to discussion on changing the defaults.  Perhaps what it would
>>be better to use some non-linear (perhaps logorithmic) scaling factor.
>>

>That would be cool, too.    Though a count of data pages would be a better
>scale than a count of rows, and equally obtainable from pg_class.

But we track tuples because we can compare against the count given by
the stats system.  I don't know of a way (other than looking at the FSM,
or contrib/pgstattuple ) to see how many dead pages exist.

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: duration logging setting in 7.4
От: Shridhar Daithankar
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] More detail on settings for pgavd?