Re: Question for the developers.

От Jan Wieck
Тема Re: Question for the developers.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
suchindra@linuxlabs.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  I am Suchindra Katageri and am working as a Software Engineer at
>  Linuxlabs, Atlanta, GA.
>
>  I am presently working on developing libraries to make postgresql
>  run on a cluster. I was wondering if it was possible to force Database
>  writes to stable storage, without messing up with the postgres code.
>  e.g. force the PostgreSQL to write to stable storage after an INSERT
>  command.

I don't see how that would help you very far.

PostgreSQL holds disk buffers in a shared memory cache. And unless you
modify that cache, it would not read from the file again if it thinks it
knows the content already. How do you intend to remove pages from that
shared buffer cache at the time, another cluster member modifies the
same logical page?

Jan