Re: initdb in C

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: initdb in C
Дата
Список pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:

>Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> writes:
>

>>>Consider also the strong likelihood that the data directory's parent
>>>directory is owned by root,
>>>

>>Again, this directory recreate happens only on Win32, an I thought it
>>would be OK there.
>>

>Windows has no concept of directory permissions at all?  I thought the
>more recent versions had at least rudimentary permissions.

More than rudimentary on the server versions.

I found this info at http://www.cs.wayne.edu/labPages/modes.htm :

    Windows ACLs

Windows NT and Windows 2000 uses Access Control Lists or ACLs to
determine what operations a user may perform on a file.  Windows ACLs
allow one to set permissions with finer control that does the Unix file
mode.  For example, one can all[ow] a user to append data to a file as
opposed to overwiting the file.  ACLs also allow one to permit specific
users to change the permissions on a file.  Perhaps the biggest
difference is that ACLs allow us to accord permissions on a user-by-user
basis, rather than the three categories of users permitted by Unix file
systems.

This info applies to directories as well as plain files AFAIK

cheers

andrew