Re: stats collector causes shared-memory-block leakage

От Jan Wieck
Тема Re: stats collector causes shared-memory-block leakage
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> While investigating Scott Goodwin's recent report of trouble on Mac OS
> X, I have realized that we have an unpleasant little misbehavior in our
> last several releases.  After a backend crash, the postmaster will
> attempt to recycle (delete and recreate) the old shared memory segment.
> However, if the stats collector is enabled, the two stats collection
> subprocesses are still attached to the old segment.  Which means it
> doesn't go away.  Instead the postmaster will set up shop with a new
> segment.
>
> This is not so bad in a system with large SHMMAX ... but if the SHMMAX
> setting is too tight to permit a second shared memory segment to be
> created, the postmaster fails.
>
> The attached patch fixes the problem by causing the stats collector to
> detach from shared memory, which it isn't using anyway.  Unless I hear
> objections I will apply it to 7.4 and HEAD ... and I'm seriously
> thinking of applying it to the 7.3 branch as well.

I seem to recall there once was a pipe from the postmaster to the stat's
processes and closing that will actually get rid of them. I also seem to
recall that this was changed someday, but I don't remember why.

Anyhow, good catch. The judgement to apply to both looks right to me.

Jan