Re: index question

От Jan Wieck
Тема Re: index question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Rick Gigger wrote:

> I have heard that postgres will not use an index unless the field has a
> not null constraint on it.  Is that true?

Certainly not. PostgreSQL reserves the right not to use an index, for
example if it thinks that most of the table will satisfy the condition
anyway (for example if a table has keys in the range from 1 to 1,000,000
and you query for > 1,000 ... using the index doesn't make sense). But
claiming it will not use one if the field is allowed to contain NULL is
plainly wrong.

Jan