Re: pg_ctl reports succes when start fails

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: pg_ctl reports succes when start fails
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

>Tommi Maekitalo <t.maekitalo@epgmbh.de> writes:
>

>>I installed 7.4beta5, created a data-dir and tried to start postgresql with
>>pg_ctl without initdb. As expected, this will fail. But pg_ctl tells me
>>"postmaster successfully started", after a fatal error, which looks very
>>confusing. When I use -l for specifying a logfile, I don't even see the
>>error, but only the success-message.
>>

>If you don't use -w, then pg_ctl doesn't wait around to see whether the
>postmaster started or not.  It'd probably be a good idea for it to issue
>a less positive message in this case, maybe only "postmaster launched".
>
>I also wonder why -w isn't the default.

It is for stop but not for start/restart, which does seem a bit odd.

On a slightly related note, I see that this is still a shell script, as
are initlocation, ipcclean and pg_config. I assume these will have to be
rewritten in C for the Win32 port?

cheers

andrew

От: Josh Berkus
Сообщение: Re: is GiST still alive?
От: Christopher Kings-Lynne
Сообщение: Re: pg_ctl reports succes when start fails