Re: multi-backend psql

От Andreas Pflug
Тема Re: multi-backend psql
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Rod Taylor wrote:

>On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 21:24, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
>

>>>There is always the biggest evil of all... Putting SHOW / DESCRIBE /
>>>HELP commands into the backend itself. I'm sure the pgAdmin group likes
>>>that idea (they're probably tired of maintaining 4 different versions of
>>>queries for getting a list of tables). Any solution to make psql
>>>backward or forward compatible should go an additional step to assist
>>>other frontends as well.
>>>

>>All that means for phpPgAdmin and pgAdmin is that we'll have to support
>>5 different queries :P
>>

>Yes, but I would hope it stops at 5, and over the next 3 years you don't
>have 10 different query forms.
>

>>We could use information_schema...
>>

>Nay... I would expect a PostgreSQL specific information_schema to get
>just as much mucking around as the system tables, which means you are
>still maintaining a set of queries per release.

The problem about information_schema is that it's restricted to show
objects of the owner only. This is by spec, but will prevent us from
seeing all we need.
This might get better if we get rules.

Regards,
Andreas

От: Richard Huxton
Сообщение: Re: Automatic compat checking? (was 7.4 compatibility question)
От: Michael Brusser
Сообщение: Re: 7.4 compatibility question