Remote updating

От Dennis Gearon
Тема Remote updating
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Is it possible to have Postgres output changes to tables, i.e.
essentially the WAL log, in the form of SQL statements, that could be
uploaded to another, identical database, on a remote machine.

I have a client that DOES NOT want the whole schema on their website for
the sake of security. Pat will be on the website, part will be on an
office computer.

Both 'mini schemas' will use some common tables, like states, addresses,
etc.

If I could, I would make the changes queue up on the office computer,
and then their local apache server and postgres DB would send up an
update script.

I'm wondering how to keep the two parts of the schemas synchronized.

Is it possible to make a mirrororing system only mirror certain tables
from a schema? Does this sound like a way to go?

Do the writes in the primary master tend to wait until they can
synchronize the slaves before it reflects the changes local to it, i.e.
wait on full commit to all DB's before the transaction is visible?

One other possiblity is that the total data will be pretty small, I
could just upload the entire dataset, with date versioning, and remove
off the end the old ones, 3-4 versions back. I would make all scripts
look at one particular date value in one field saying what the new
version is.

Anyway, thoughts on this appreciated.