Re: Database Kernels and O_DIRECT

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Database Kernels and O_DIRECT
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

>James Rogers <jamesr@best.com> writes:
>

>>If we suddenly wanted to optimize Postgres for performance the way
>>Oracle does, we would be a lot more keen on the O_DIRECT approach.
>>

>This isn't ever going to happen, for the simple reason that we don't
>have Oracle's manpower.

[snip - long and sensible elaboration of above statement]

I have wondered (somewhat fruitlessly) for several years about the
possibilities of special purpose lightweight file systems that could
relax some of the assumptions and checks used in general purpose file
systems. Such a thing might provide most of the benefits of a "database
kernel" without imposing anything extra on the database application layer.

Just a thought - I have no resources to make any attack on such a project.

cheers

andrew

От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: postgres --help-config
От: Hannu Krosing
Сообщение: Re: Database Kernels and O_DIRECT