Re: postgres --help-config

От Fernando Nasser
Тема Re: postgres --help-config
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> Actually, I think the point Peter's been making is that it's not clear
> we need a "user-readable" output format at all.  The variant you are
> calling --help-config-raw is the only one that needs to be supported in
> 7.4, and anything else should (arguably) be left off so that it doesn't
> constrain a future redesign.

I agree.  We can revive the pg_guc utility to obtain the raw input using
'postgres --help-config' and format it the way you want and give it all
the switches that people may want.

I just wonder if having a help-like option without human-readable output
is OK.  We can always document that it is for machine consumption, of
course.

--
Fernando Nasser
2323 Yonge Street, Suite #300