Re: go for a script! / ex: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL

От pginfo
Тема Re: go for a script! / ex: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Hi,

Josh Berkus wrote:

> [...]
> tweak the Conf file by hand.  I think we should just issue a warning that
> this script:
> 1) does not work for anyone who is using non-default block sizes,
> 2) may not work well for anyone using unusual locales, optimization flags, or
> other non-default compile options except for language interfaces.
> 3) cannot produce good settings for embedded systems;
> 4) will not work well for systems which are extremely low on disk space,
> memory, or other resouces.
>         Basically, the script only really needs to work for the people who are
> installing PostgreSQL with the default options or from RPM on regular server
> or workstation machines with plenty of disk space for normal database
> purposes.  People who have more complicated setups can read the darned
> documentation and tune the conf file by hand.
>
> > Is PostgreSQL the only thing being run on this computer?
>
> First, becuase it affects a couple of other variables:
>
> What kind of database server are you expecting to run?
> A) Web Server (many small fast queries from many users, and not much update
> activity)
> B) Online Transaction Processing (OLTP) database (many small updates
> constantly from many users; think "accounting application").
> C) Online Analytical Reporting (OLAP) database (a few large and complicated
> read-only queries aggregating large quantites of data for display)
> D) Data Transformation tool (loading large amounts of data to process,
> transform, and output to other software)
> E) Mixed-Use Database Server (a little of all of the above)
> F) Workstation (installing this database on a user machine which also has a
> desktop, does word processing, etc.)
>
> If the user answers anything but (F), then we ask:
>
> Will you be running any other signficant software on this server, such as a
> web server, a Java runtime engine, or a reporting application? (yes|no)
>
> If yes, then:
>
> How much memory do you expect this other software, in total, to regularly use
> while PostgreSQL is in use?  (# in MB; should offer default of 50% of the RAM
> scanned).
>
> > How are the clients going to connect?
> >
> >     i.e. TCP or Unix sockets
>
> We should warn them that they will still need to configure pg_hba.conf.
>
> > How many clients can connect to this database at once?
> >
> >     Affects max_connections
>
> Should add a parenthetical comment that for applications which use pooled
> connections, or intermittent connection, such as Web applications, the number
> of concurrent connections is often much lower than the number of concurrent
> users.
>
> > How many databases and how many tables in each database are going to be
> > present?
> >
> >     Affects max_fsm_pages, checkpoint_segments, checkpoint_timeout
>
> Also need to ask if they have an idea of the total size of all databases, in
> MB or GB, which has a stronger relationship to those variables.

Why not to make a cron script that will detect this size fot hil self?In many
cases we do not have a good idea how many records(size) will be in data base.

> Also, this will give us a chance to check the free space on the PGDATA
> partition, and kick the user out with a warning if there is not at least
> 2xExpected Size available.
>
> > Do you want to vacuum you database regularly?
> >
> >     Initial question for cron job
> >
> > It is recomended that you vacuum analyze every night, do you want to do
> > this?
> > It is also recomended that you vacuum full every month, do you want to
> > do this?
>
> Depends on size/type of database.  For large OLTP databases, I recommend
> vacuum as often as every 5 mintues, analyze every hour, and Vacuum Full +
> Reindex once a week.   For a workstation database, your frequencies are
> probably OK.
>
> --
> Josh Berkus
> Aglio Database Solutions
> San Francisco

regards,ivan.

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Сообщение: Re: Another weird one with an UPDATE
Сообщение: Re: Another weird one with an UPDATE