Re: Linux filesystem shootout

От Shridhar Daithankar
Тема Re: Linux filesystem shootout
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Kaarel wrote:
>>>http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0310.1/0208.html
>>>
>>>Shridhar
>>>

> I feel incompetent when it comes to file systems. Yet everybody would like to
> have the best file system if given the choice...so do I :) Here I am looking at
> those tables seeing JFS having more green cells than others. The more green the
> better right? So based on these tests JFS ought to be the one?

Yes and no. Yes for the results. No for the tests that weren't run.

Database load is quite different. Its mixture of read and write load with a
dynamics varying from one extreme to other, between these two.

All it says that if you want to choose a good file system for postgresql, look
at JFS first..:-)

  Besides all the tests were done on files file bigger than 1GB. If single file
size is restricted to 1GB, it might produce a different result set. And
postgresql does not exceed 1GB limit per file.

So still, quite a few unknowns there..

Best thing could be repeat those benchmarks on $PGDATA with your live data
inside it. It could mimmic the load pretty well..

  Shridhar

Сообщение: Re: Linux filesystem shootout
Сообщение: Re: Linux filesystem shootout