Re: [PERFORM] Sun performance - Major discovery!

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: [PERFORM] Sun performance - Major discovery!
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

>Jeff wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Neil Conway wrote:
>>

>>>What CFLAGS does configure pick for gcc? From
>>>src/backend/template/solaris, I'd guess it's not enabling any
>>>optimization. Is that the case? If so, some gcc numbers with -O and -O2
>>>would be useful.
>>>

>>I can't believe I didn't think of this before! heh.
>>Turns out gcc was getting nothing for flags.
>>
>>I added -O2 to CFLAGS and my 60 seconds went down to 21.  A rather mild
>>improvment huh?
>>
>>I did a few more tests and suncc still beats it out - but not by too much
>>now (Not enought to justify buying a license just for compiling pg)
>>
>>I'll go run the regression test suite with my gcc -O2 pg and the suncc pg.
>>See if they pass the test.
>>
>>If they do we should consider adding -O2 and -fast to the CFLAGS.
>>

>[ CC added for hackers.]
>
>Well, this is really embarassing.  I can't imagine why we would not set
>at least -O on all platforms.  Looking at the template files, I see
>these have no optimization set:
>
>    darwin
>    dgux
>    freebsd (non-alpha)
>    irix5
>    nextstep
>    osf (gcc)
>    qnx4
>    solaris
>    sunos4
>    svr4
>    ultrix4
>
>I thought we used to have code that did -O for any platforms that set no
>cflags, but I don't see that around anywhere.  I recommend adding -O2,
>or at leaset -O to all these platforms --- we can then use platform
>testing to make sure they are working.

Actually, I would not be surprised to see gains on Solaris/SPARC from
-O3 with gcc, which enables inlining and register-renaming, although
this does make debugging pretty much impossible.

worth testing at least (but I no longer have access to a Solaris machine).

cheers

andrew

От: Jeff
Сообщение: Re: [PERFORM] Sun performance - Major discovery!
От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: [PORTS] Postgresql 7.3.4 compile failes on NetBSD 1.6 mac68k