Re: PG + PHP, was Re: Zend survey result about dbms...

От Mike Mascari
Тема Re: PG + PHP, was Re: Zend survey result about dbms...
Дата
Re: PG + PHP, was Re: Zend survey result about dbms...  (Mike Mascari <mascarm@mascari.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:

> Mike Mascari <mascarm@mascari.com> writes:
>
>>In the past, one hack would be to use setenv() and getenv() of the
>>backend to implement these functions. What about a contrib module that:
>

> Uh, what exactly does it buy you to involve an environment variable
> in this process?  I think it just adds fragility.  (For example,
> exposing setenv to the user creates the risk that he'll overwrite
> something of importance, like PATH.)

Actually, I meant that setenv() and getenv() would only be used to
store the memory address of a privately manipulated variable map. I
did not mean that it should actually be used to store and retrieve the
 variables themselves. If there is already a way to palloc() memory
using a key that lives for the lifetime of a backend, then that's
obviously the way to go. I was proceeding under the assumption that
there wasn't.

Mike Mascari
mascarm@mascari.com