Re: anyone use Ora2Pg?

От Mike Mascari
Тема Re: anyone use Ora2Pg?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Johnson, Shaunn wrote:

> howdy - thanks for the reply -
>
> i must be so far out of it, then - i
> have a sinble 1.2Ghz proc with a table
> that has about half a million rows.
>
> no indexes, triggers or anything useful.

Hmm.

> not sure about how to send this; i don't have multiple
> schemas created ... everything is sorta lumped together.
> how can i display the schema definition?

'Schema' is an overloaded word. I meant the definition of the table,
\dt <tablename>.

> PostgreSQL 7.2.1.

You could try and turn off fsync for the initial load in
postgresql.conf and restart the postmaster:

fsync = off;

Then turn it back on after the load is complete.

> but seriously, using '\copy' worked that well for
> you? ... something else is going on, then ...

Yes. In fact, it was a restore of an entire database where one of the
tables had > 1 million rows of data that took less than an hour. In
fact, IIRC, the restore of the entire dump took around 30 minutes.

pg_dump generates output that:

1. Creates the tables (and dependent objects)
2. Uses COPY to import the data
3. Creates indexes over the newly imported data

Something else must be going on, as you say.

Mike Mascari
mascarm@mascari.com