Re: State of Beta 2

От Mike Mascari
Тема Re: State of Beta 2
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Lamar Owen wrote:

> And that has nothing to do with user need as a whole, since the care
> level I mentioned is predicated by the developer interest level.  While
> I know, Marc, how the whole project got started (I have read the first
> posts), and I appreciate that you, Bruce, Thomas, and Vadim started the
> original core team because you were and are users of PostgreSQL, I
> sincerely believe that in this instance you are out of touch with this
> need of many of today's userbase. And I say that with full knowledge of
> PostgreSQL Inc.'s support role.  If given the choice between upgrading
> capability, PITR, and Win32 support, my vote would go to upgrading. Then
> migrating to PITR won't be a PITN.

Ouch. I'd like to see an easy upgrade path, but I'd rather have a 7.5
with PITR then an in-place upgrade. Perhaps the demand for either is
associated with the size of the db vs. the fear associated with an
inability to restore to a point-in-time. My fear of an accidental:

DELETE FROM foo;

is greater than my loathing of the upgrade process.

> What good are great features if it's a PITN to get upgraded to them?

What good is an in-place upgrade without new features?

(I'm kinda joking here) ;-)

Mike Mascari
mascarm@mascari.com