Re: massive quotes?

От Andreas Pflug
Тема Re: massive quotes?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

>Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> writes:
>

>>Tom Lane wrote:
>>

>>>I believe we could make
>>>it a good deal more robust if both the opening and closing markers
>>>(whatever they are) are required to stand alone on a line.
>>>

>>Hard to detect whitespace might trip things up. I wish I had a $ for
>>every time that has made my life difficult.
>>

>I could accept a definition that allowed trailing whitespace on the same
>line as the marker, but not any other visible characters.

This contradicts a wish you made earlier, using this extended quoting
for further reducing quote-quoting. IMHO, such a single-line quote
marker would be totally sufficient, it would reduce '''''''' to '''',
and if you write \'\' (what I prefer) it gets even more distinguishable
(actually, this is the way pgAdmin3's function wizard works).
But if we're back to a single line, it's somehow like a keyword,
separated by space-chars. FUNCTIONBODY might be a bit function-centric,
so how about QUOTE and ENDQUOTE? In case another quote level makes
sense, it could be QUOTE(1) and ENDQUOTE(1), or only a pair of QUOTE(n).

Anyway, I think such a here-documents or single line quote marker
solution would be a great enhancement, details are now merely a question
of taste.

While this sounds "nearly done" for me, as there seems some fundamental
consense, I'll will probably have to wait for 7.5?

Regards,
Andreas

От: Jan Wieck
Сообщение: Re: massive quotes?
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Another small bug (pg_autovacuum)