Re: Stats Collector Error 7.4beta1 and 7.4beta2

От Jan Wieck
Тема Re: Stats Collector Error 7.4beta1 and 7.4beta2
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
They are both structures of type sockaddr_in (sin_family 2 is AF_INET
whereas sin_family 10 would've been AF_INET6), and all relevant fields
of the structure look the same to me. The problem lies in the padding
bytes that make sockaddr_in the same size as sockaddr.

Since the static structure pgStatAddr is supposed to be initialized to
nul bytes by the compiler and now does not contain those in the padding
area, my guess would be that getsockaddr() is actually writing garbage
into that padding area. This is a nasty change, as one cannot compare
two addresses for equalness with memcmp() any more just because of
sloppy programming in the IP stack.

Well, the correct fix would be to compare only the relevant parts of the
addresses, depending on the address family type.

I personally wouldn't worry too much about removing the check entirely.
If you got a hacker wasting his time and bandwidth with screwing up your
statistic collector daemon by sending faked UDP packets to some guessed
port number (it's only visible in the netstat output on your local
machine), I think he's done with all the rest of his TODO for the day
and you'll soon face other problems than that.

Jan