Re: A JDBC bug or problem relating to string length in Java

От Jean-Christian Imbeault
Тема Re: A JDBC bug or problem relating to string length in Java
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
joe user wrote:

> You mean the Postgres server?  I don't know.  I never
> set it.  This is a plain-vanilla installation of
> RedHat 9, and I downloaded and compiled plain-vanilla
> PG 7.3.4, so whatever the default encoding would be,
> that is what I'm using.

If you didn't set an encoding you're using whatever locale (?) RH9
installed, probably en_US.UTF-8. This means that your database is
probably configured for this also.

So if you wanted to insert japanese in EUC-JP format, your current
database would *not* support it. All you can insert into your current
database is UTF-8. If you want to insert strings in anything else then
UTF-8 you would need to create a new database and specify the encoding
to use for that database (I think it is the -D flag?).

I think that's right ...

Jean-Christian Imbeault