Re: Indexing question

От Tomasz Myrta
Тема Re: Indexing question
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
> Hi all,
>
> I have some tables (which can get pretty large) in which I want to
> record 'current' data as well as 'historical' data. This table has
> fields 'deleted' and 'deleteddate' (among other fields, of course). The
> field 'deleted' is false be default. Every record that I want to delete
> gets the value true for 'deleted' and 'deleteddate' is set to the date
> of deletion.
>
> Since these tables are used a lot by queries that only use 'current'
> data, I have created a view with a where clause 'Where not deleted'.
> Also, I have indexed field 'deleted'.

<cut>
I think the best choice for your case is using conditional indexes. It
should be much better than indexing 'deleted' field. I don't know on
which exactly fields you have to create this index - you have to check
it by yourself - what do you have in "where" clause?

Example:
create index some_index on your_table(id_field) where not deleted;

Regards,
Tomasz Myrta